Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Rich Get Richer and The Poor Get Poorer

We've all heard the statement, "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." This has been especially true in the past several years and may be even more true in the years ahead. But have you ever asked why this is the case? It is simply because the rich keep doing what makes them rich and the poor keep doing what keeps them poor. I saw a video on Youtube recently and the guy was talking about when he realized what he was doing wrong. He said he realized at the early age of 24 that it is ALWAYS possible to spend more than you make. If you always spend more than you make, you'll always be broke.

If you're tired of being one of the poor, and believe me I'm very tired of it, then you have to change the way you think about money and the way you act upon your thoughts. I had to get over my little pity party and get away from the victim mentality of "I'll always be poor." You'll always be poor if you keep doing the things that make you poor.

A lot of people think, "If I just made more money." Well you first need to be able to handle the money you do have. Do you want to have more and possibly even be one of the rich getting richer? Then you need to take control of your finances and stop spending more than you take in. Once you've accomplished this simple rule, then you can put your excess money to work. When your money works for you, that's that much less work you have to do yourself. John D. Rockefeller once said that the only thing that made him truly happy was the dividend checks he got every month. I can relate to that! I've worked hard all my life, starting at age 5, but never really had anything to show for it until the past 10 years or so. Now the money comes in every month in the form of dividends and interest and you can't imagine how it makes me feel to know that I didn't have to do any physical labor to earn it. I'm still a long way from being one of the rich. But I have every confidence that the more I learn about handling my finances, the more money I will make and the less I'll have to physically work for it.

If this sounds good to you, then take a look at your personal circumstances. We can all find reasons or excuses why we can't put any money aside to invest, or why we can't improve our situations. It's when you STOP making excuses and START looking for ways to improve your situation, then your life will change. It may not be easy and you might not like all the changes you have to make, but believe me, it will be more than worth the effort. Don't wait for a bailout from the government, help yourself to a better life!

No comments: