Tuesday, June 16, 2009

AFLAC and Evaluating Dividend Sustainability

If you've read some of my previous posts, you'll know I like investing in insurance companies. Currently I am invested in AFLAC (AFL) in my IRA account and my regular stock portfolio. Although my own research had convinced me of the value of owning shares of AFLAC, it's always nice to get a second opinion.

Dividends Value.com has a great analysis of AFLAC stock, which you can read at:


http://dividendsvalue.com/3205/aflac-inc-afl-dividend-stock-analysis/


I just recently discovered this site. What a great resource for building a solid dividend portfolio of stocks! Looking forward to reading more. Also found a great table of factors to consider, when evaluating a stocks dividend sustainability, at Disciplined Approach to Investing:

http://disciplinedinvesting.blogspot.com/2009/06/evaluating-dividend-sustainability.html


One of the very first things I do, before investing in a stock, is check the sustainability of dividend payouts. It doesn't do any good to invest, only to have the dividend cut or eliminated all together.

No comments: