Sunday, June 14, 2009

Looking Forward To Summer

I'm looking forward to summer and to seeing whether the rally in stocks will continue. Traditionally, the old stock market wisdom is, "In May go away." Some experts were expecting to see continued run this year, as long as the recovery in the economy continues. But from what I've been seeing, it looks like a lot of buyers will be slowing down for the summer months and I'm thinking things will pick up again in August or September. So I probably won't be doing many quick trades.

Usually, during this time of year, I take time to find good quality dividend stocks to add to my long term holdings. This year is likely to be no exception. If the market is taking a break, it will be the perfect time to pick up stocks at lower prices. I may be adding to some of my current holdings like AT&T (T), General Electric (GE), Merck and Co. (MRK) and a few others. Might also buy back in to British Petroleum (BP) and Universal Insurance (UVE) since I think both have good long term prospects and they both pay good dividends. I do still hold both stocks in my IRA account for the long term payouts and growth prospects. Also hoping to pick up more shares of AFLAC (AFL) if I can get them at a decent price. Would also like to unload some of my less productive holdings and re-invest the cash. I'm currently holding extra cash in my money market account in case the market does drop back some, so I will be able to take advantage of bargain priced stocks.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: