Tuesday, July 16, 2013

PERSONAL HEALTH CARE PLAN

Last year I wrote about being proactive in personal health care as a way of saving on expenses.  To that end, I put into practice some of the suggestions as far as changing my diet, losing weight, stopping smoking and starting a regular exercise program.  

I'm happy to report I've been able to stick with the program quite easily.  To date I've lost a total of 58 lbs. and have gone from a 42 inch waist to a 36.  I'm down to an extra large shirt from a size 3 X and I'm feeling great.  I exercise at least 30 minutes a day five days a week and take the weekends off.  As for my diet, I've cut red meat down to 2 or 3 servings per month and have switched to a high protein, low carb, low fat diet.  I actually eat more than I did before, but the weight keeps dropping, usually 2-3 lbs. per week.  I started at 265 lbs and have a goal weight of 190.  I only have to lose 17 more pounds and I'll be at my goal weight, then it will be a matter of maintaining the weight, which shouldn't be too hard since I've changed my habits to include the increased activity and improved nutrition. 

How much will I save by doing all this?  I have no real way of knowing.  However, each trip to the hospital for my last two heart attacks cost over $47,000.  If I avoid another heart attack, then the savings would amount to at least $50,000.  Not bad for doing something that makes you feel better and feel better about yourself.  

Perhaps instead of creating the nightmare called "Obamacare", it would have been more rewarding and much less expensive for the politicians to have come up with a plan to incentivize healthier lifestyles.  But that would make sense, so it's probably not likely to happen.

No comments: