Monday, February 22, 2016

INEXPENSIVE COMPUTER UPGRADE

I'm always looking for ways to save money and I'd been using my old Windows XP desktop way past when I should have upgraded.  It worked well and I kept the browser and virus protection up to date, so I just kept using it.  Now, however, the browser I was using notified me they were no longer going to support computers running Windows XP, so I had to make an upgrade.

Here's what I did instead of buying a new computer.  I went on ebay and bought 3 rehabbed desktop computers with Windows 7 Pro for $89 each.  Also got a great deal on a Windows 8.1 laptop on Amazon for $189.  I then took advantage of Microsofts free upgrade to Windows 10 and upgraded all 4 computers.  One desktop was for my sister, one for my brother and one for me.  Did all four upgrades without a hitch and couldn't be happier with the performance.  So instead of getting one new computer for around $500, I got 3 desktops and a laptop for $456, all with the latest version of Windows!  While it's true you never know how long used electronics will last, I bought my old XP computer for $89 as well and I've had it for 7 or 8 years.  So even if one or more of these computers should fail within a year or less, I'm still ahead of the game.  I really don't expect that to happen.

No comments: