Friday, October 25, 2013

PUTTING OFF BUYING A HOME UNTIL 2014

The one major investment goal I had for this year that looks like I won't be able to reach is buying a home.  I had hoped to find a fixer upper at a low enough price to have a mortgage payment less than my rent.  I planned to add my own sweat equity to make it into the kind of place where Pickles and I would be comfortable.  

It looks like that's not going to happen this year.  While I managed to find 3 places under $20,000 and one that was move in ready under $30,000, due to my hour cuts at work caused by the implementation of Obamacare, I no longer qualify for a loan.  I have good credit, I just don't make enough money to qualify for a loan.  So I'll either have to find extra work or find a place with owner financing which doesn't look too promising.  There's also the possibility of saving the money.  It would take quite a while and I'll miss out on the benefit of lower housing costs while I continue to pay rent.  Where there's a will, a way can be found and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it happen eventually.

On a brighter note, saw increases in dividends from several of my stocks this month.  It's great to see monthly cash flow going up at ever faster rates.  Perhaps I should concentrate all my efforts on raising cash flow and use the money from my taxable account to purchase a place to live.  It's one avenue to consider.  It would still take quite a bit of time, but it is possible.  

No comments: