Tuesday, August 20, 2013

WATCHING MONEY GROW

For the first 12 years of my life, I lived on a farm.  Farm kids usually have to pitch in and help with work around the farm, even at a young age.  This was even more true back in the 60's.  I can remember carrying water around to all the workers picking cotton in the cotton fields of the Missouri boot heel at the age of 5.  Later I was one of the cotton pickers until they automated the process.  So in my early life I developed an appreciation for hard work.  One of the things I enjoyed most was planting season.  I was fascinated that such small seeds could grow into such large plants and produce many times over the original single seed.  

As a result of my early life on the farm, I've always enjoyed watching things grow.  Now that fascination has switched to growing dollars instead of plants.  It truly is the same basic principle, you plant your seed capital, no matter how small.  Give it time and attention along the way and it can grow in to a great harvest.  Once the harvest comes in, you can enjoy the fruits of your labor or use the new seeds of capital to expand your crop.  Right now I'm expanding the crop by reinvesting all my dividend earnings, planning for a much bigger harvest in the future.

No matter how much or how little you're able to put aside for saving and investing, it's guaranteed to bring a measure of satisfaction to watch your money grow.

No comments: