Friday, May 13, 2011

WEEK IN REVIEW

Friday the 13th proved unlucky for the stocks as the markets closed lower for the week.  As for my personal portfolio, my cash balances ended up, thanks to good dividends from Clorox and a final dividend payment from British American Tobacco.  Managed to avoid the crash in commodities prices, mostly by avoiding commodities investments altogether.  Though I did auction off a collection of silver coins while the price of silver was near it's all time highs.  I've never been a coin collector and I'm kind of like Warren Buffett when it comes to gold and silver as investments.  Warren says gold is pretty to look at but not much else.  I much prefer investments that generate a steady stream of income through dividend payments over speculation in commodities prices.

According to a new report, Social Security is expected to run out of money by 2036, not good news for anyone in the U.S., but if I manage to live that long, I'll be in my mid 70's and should have enough dividend income to cover my expenses. 

Right now I'm enjoying the lower gas prices while they last.  Of course most everyone agrees that gasoline prices reach the demand destruction around $4 per gallon, so you kind of had to see it coming.  Volatility in the U.S. dollar, however, is causing price fluctuations in the oil market since oil is priced in U.S. dollars. 

I watched an interesting video on CNBC about manufacturing making a comeback in the United States.  I'd sure like to see it, but I'm a bit skeptical.  I can remember a time when factory jobs were plentiful and easy to get, now it seems they're few and far between.  I would like to see "Made in the U.S.A" make a comeback though.  What a great thing that would be!

No comments: