Tuesday, January 12, 2016

MAKING YOUR MONEY LAST IN RETIREMENT

Just read an interesting article in Money magazine about making your money last during retirement.  They gave the current standard advice to take 4 - 4.5% of your money out each year to make it last at least 30 years or more.  But what if you live longer than that?

So I decided to do the math on my dividend portfolio to see how well it would hold out if I followed their advice and withdrew 4.5% of my money, raising the amount by 2% a year to account for inflation.  My portfolio consists of a mix of individual stocks, stock funds and bond funds.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that, if I followed these guidelines, my money would not only last over 30 years, but it would never run out!

Why would I never run out of money?  Because my current dividend income exceeds the amount I'd be withdrawing by over 30%!  So even if I increased my withdrawals by 2% each year, the extra 30% being reinvested would increase income more than the 2% increase in withdrawals.  Which means I'd never touch my capital, I'd be withdrawing dividend cash only.  I'd planned on doing this when I retired anyway, but with a target amount in mind, it's nice to see how well the plan will work out.  Now here's the crazy part.  I could start taking 4% a year withdrawals right now, while I'm still working and still not run out of money.  I'm not going to, but it's nice to know I could.  Just another good reason to be a dividend investor.  

No comments: