Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Should Michael Vick Be Reinstated With The NFL

Now that Michael Vick has served his time, there's a lot of talk going around about whether or not he should be reinstated with the NFL. At first, like a lot of others, I thought no. He had his chance and he screwed up, so why should he be allowed back? But then I started thinking about my own brush with the law and how it has affected my life. I have a felony conviction from over 20 years ago. Something I'm not proud of, I committed embezzlement. Nothing on the scale of Bernard Madoff or the Enron people, but I took the money and I had to pay. I learned my lesson, served my time and am still being punished to this day. Even though I was a model prisoner by any one's standards and haven't had so much as a parking ticket since my release, the fact that I was convicted keeps me from getting a decent job. The point is, if I feel it's wrong for people to judge me, over something that happened over 20 years ago, then why should I judge Michael Vick? I hope he is reinstated. He has done his time, hopefully he's learned his lesson and will stay out of trouble.

The real question is, if nobody is willing to give convicted felons a job, then what are they supposed to do? Return to a life of crime? I don't want to be a criminal, obviously I was no good at it. I just want to get a decent job and lead a productive life. I'm sure that Michael Vick is thinking the same thing. He did something stupid, did his time, now he just wants to get on with his life.

No comments: