Friday, July 10, 2009

Merck and Schering Plough Merger

It has been an uneventful week in the stock market. Although I'm pretty pleased with the merger agreement going forward with Merck and Schering Plough. I own shares in both companies and stand to get some cash, $10.50 per share plus .5767 shares of the New Merck for each share of Schering Plough I own. I like the mergers where I get cash, cash is almost always good. Since I bought both stocks when prices were low, I should come out ahead on the deal. Plus the new company anticipates continuing Merck's current dividend payout. So that's the bright spot for the week.

Made some changes to the appearance of my blog, trying to encourage more visitors, I think it's a big improvement. Be the first to sign up as a follower of my blog!!!

News affecting the economy was not particularly good this week. Obama's approval rating is slipping over bailout programs and lack of results. Warren Buffett thinks we need another stimulus package, although I'm a huge fan, I disagree with him on that one. And the jobless rate continues to rise. While it all seems a little overwhelming at times, we just have to keep in mind it won't last forever. Things will eventually gravitate back towards the norm.

No comments: