Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Recent Stock Trades

Decided to sell Copano Energy (CPNO) for a profit of 27%, with earnings down I am concerned about their ability to maintain their dividend payments. I will be reinvesting a portion of the proceeds from the sale of Copano in ConAgra Inc. (CAG). Their earnings per share of $2.15 per share is more than sufficient to maintain, and possibly increase, their dividend of 76 cents a share, which represents a 4% yield on the current price per share. While energy use may be declining in the current economy, people still have to eat, so upping my stake in ConAgra looks like the way to go.

For my IRA account, I'm adding more shares of AT&T (T). While their dividend payout of $1.64 represents 76% of earnings, I feel that their dividend is in little danger of being cut. AT&T is a long term holding in my personal portfolio as well.

My stake in Regency Energy Partners (RGNC) is doing well. It is up nearly 20% since my initial investment. Their dividend payout is around 62% of earnings, so I'll probably hang for the dividends unless the unless the price goes up over 20%. In that case, I would take the gain, since I initially bought the shares of the energy partnerships for short term gains. We'll see how that plays out.

No comments: