Tuesday, May 22, 2018

NEED TO BUY MORE REEVES UTILITY INCOME FUND

Every time I get the distribution report from Reeves Utility Income Fund (UTG) I can't help thinking I need to buy more shares.  While I originally bought in at a steep price, I could buy more shares at a lower price now and reduce my average price per share.  Share price has not been a stellar performer, but the monthly distribution is what I'm interested in here.  Their current yield is 7.22% on a share price a little over the $28 mark.  While that's not as high a yield as some of my other holdings it's definitely nothing to sneeze at.  Average annual return for the past five years stands at 9.33%, including reinvested dividends.  

The real selling point for me is 100% of their distributions have been paid from net investment income and net realized long term capital gains.  Which means they're not playing the old smoke and mirrors game like some funds who cover payouts with a return of capital or some other capital source.  I also like the fact that they actually increased their dividend payout in April of this year.  So I'm looking to buy more shares of UTG while the price is down.  I've held it for a long time now and reinvested dividends, but I think I'd be wise to increase my stake before the price goes up.  

No comments: