Friday, February 9, 2018

USED LIMIT ORDER TO BUY QYLD AT LOWER PRICE!

With the stock market still trying to decide whether to go up or down, I took advantage of the volatility and used a limit order to purchase my stake in QYLD.  I set the purchase price lower than the quote price and the jittery market did the rest, letting me buy in at the lower price, then immediately going back up putting me in the black on the first day of purchase!  I may have to use limit orders more often.  I've known about them for quite some time but never took advantage of it.  Now that I've actually used it to my advantage, I can see where it could be quite useful for future stock purchases and sales.

Was also happy to see GLW increased it's dividend again this year.  This year's increase is up by 16% over their last quarterly dividend.  I've trade GLW several times in the past, always making a profit, but the stake I own now I've held for quite some time.  I'm taking more of a buy and hold approach this time around and it looks as though it will pay off in the long run as well.

Even though most of my holdings are trending up, my portfolio is still down considerably from a couple of weeks ago.  So I'm hoping to pick up bargain prices on more shares before they return to previous highs.  While I will be investing some cash out of pocket, I'll mostly be increasing number of shares held through reinvested dividends.  That's probably for the best, since there are no commissions on reinvested dividends.

Collected my first dividend from AGNC and am pleased to report it was a nice tidy sum!  Their high yield monthly dividend will provide a significant boost to monthly and annual dividend income.  The cash flow from AGNC, along with NLY, QYLD and EVV should help make 2018 a very good year!

Capital One has decided to turn over it's investment business to ETRADE later this year, so I'll have to get used to a new brokerage.  I can't imagine it is that much different from what I'm used to and ETRADE has a very good reputation.  I'm looking forward to the change.  It will be nice to be dealing with more of a mainstream brokerage.  Although I'm a little surprised Capital One, with all their resources, couldn't make a go of it.  Perhaps they decided it was better to stick to their mainstream business.

It was good to see how my portfolio weathered this latest storm.  While I did have paper losses on the value of my stocks, they were relatively minor and dividend income actually increased.  So I'd say my mix of investments are pretty well suited to handle an actual correction in the stock market if or when one should occur.

No comments: