Saturday, September 10, 2016

WHAT TO DO AFTER FRIDAY'S NEAR 400 POINT DROP IN THE STOCK MARKET?

With an expected interest rate increase from the Federal Reserve, the stock market took a near 400 point dive on Friday.  Why the Fed thinks it's a good idea to raise rates now is beyond me.  If they think inflation is under control, they haven't been to the grocery store or a fast food joint lately.  Sure gas prices are cheap, but that has more to do with the Saudi's manipulating the oil market to drive out competitors.  At any rate, the rumor of a rate increase was the trigger that brought the market down.  I've been expecting it to happen sooner or later, so I'd already prepared my strategy ahead of time.  

The first thing I did was to stop reinvesting all dividends and start collecting cash payments instead.  I figure why by in to a falling asset.  The market was already overpriced, so if this is only a temporary setback, I won't have missed much by collecting cash.  If the stock prices continue to slide but dividends remain the same, I'll eventually be able to pick up more shares at the lower prices.  I have no intention of selling anything and will continue to make additional cash purchases.  I've got a big purchase going through for my Roth account on Tuesday next week, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see prices drop even more on Monday.  I'll start reinvesting dividends again when the stock market reaches more stable ground.

No comments: