Friday, August 12, 2011

BUYING ON THE DOWNSIDE

We had a tumultuous week with the stock market to say the least.  However, I was able to take advantage of the lower stock prices to add to my positions in Clorox, EVEP, LGCY and SGU.  These are all long term holdings in my taxable portfolio.  I also managed to get things moving with work so I'll be able to take advantage of the generous 401k plan there.  They offer a dollar for dollar match up to 5% of my salary.  While I've always looked at my current job as a place to ride out the economic downturn, meaning I hope not to be there much longer, I figure I might as well take advantage of the opportunity to build on my investments while I'm there.  I can always do a rollover on the 401k when I leave.

I doubt we've seen the last of volatility in the market, so I'll be looking to add more to my current investments in the coming weeks and months.  As long as the market is down I'm looking at it as a sale on future dividend income.  So I'll be buying as much as I can afford.  Let's face it, volatile or not, with interest rates in the toilet for the foreseeable future, the stock market is still one of the best games going.

No comments: