Sunday, November 14, 2010

PREPARING FINANCES FOR THE NEW YEAR

I know it might seem kind of earlier to be planning ahead for 2011, especially in view of my recent health concerns, but it's never too early to plan as far as I'm concerned.  Given the major changes to my financial situation due to recent medical bills, I think it's even more important to come up with a plan of attack.

One thing I've been wanting to get done was to revamp the spreadsheet I use each month to keep track of personal finances.  While I've made adjustments and improvements along the way, the current spreadsheet I use is one I created 10 years ago and was due for a major update.  The simple spreadsheet has worked well for me over the years, but I thought it was time to prepare a more professional monthly financial statement.  With that in mind, I've created an entirely new system incorporating a personal cash flow statement and balance sheet.  While not any more complicated or informative than my current spreadsheet, it presents the data in a more professional and organized manner.  Which means, I should be able to use this spreadsheet for the next 10 years. 

As an update on the medical front, I've finished my application from the hospital for consideration for their financial aid program for the uninsured.  Seems my reduced pay since the economy crashed may actually qualify me for assistance in paying my hospital bills or at least help in arranging an affordable payment plan.  I'm turning my application in tomorrow and I'll keep my readers posted on how well it works out. 

No comments: