Thursday, June 10, 2010

UPDATES TO MY PORTFOLIO FOR JUNE

While reviewing my investments recently, I decided to make some changes in my investments. Legacy (LGCY) and EV Energy Partners (EVEP) showed some dissappointing earnings, so I decided to pull my money out of both stocks and reinvest the proceeds elsewhere. While I was way ahead on both, as far as capital gains, I wanted to take my initial investment cash out in case earnings continue to slide. Instead of selling all shares, I pulled out only my original investment in both partnerships and kept the remaining shares. I figure I'm playing with the house's money, so if they tank, I'll still be ahead on both by the amount of dividends I've drawn in the past year.

I also decided to sell CPL, the Brazilian utility company. I was up over 21% and while I think they're a great company, I'd rather invest the money with companies that pay quarterly, instead of yearly dividends. With the sale of these 3 stocks I ended up with quite a bit of cash. So I decided to reinvest the money in equal amounts in PM, General Mills (GIS), Windstream (WIN), Astrazeneca (AZN) and Centerpoint Energy (CNP). It's all part of my move toward more mainstream stock investments. General Mills is a new addition to my portfolio, with the rest I'll just be increasing my current investments. Overall I should improve stability while maintaining cash flow from dividends.

I'll still have money invested in ENP, LGCY, CLMT and EVEP, so I'm not writing off energy limited partnerships. I just wanted to reduce exposure to the sector, since they had become such a large part of my investment portfolio. Hopefully they will do better in the future and I can continue to draw dividends for years to come. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: