Wednesday, June 16, 2010

IN WITH FOREIGN INVESTMENTS AND OUT WITH THE LIMITED PARTNERSHIPS

In a further move to reduce my exposure to limited partnerships, I put in sell orders for Calumet Specialty Products (CLMT) with a 23% gain, Markwest Energy (MWE) with a 42% gain and utility company Pinnacle West Capital Corp (PNW) for a gain of 29%. While all three have been great investments up to this point, I didn't like their prospects going forward, so decided to lock in gains and reinvest profits elsewhere.

To add more diversity to my portfolio and seek profits outside the U.S., I've decided to invest the money equally in British American Tobacco (BTI) and Unilever (UN). BTI has a ROE of 28.8% with a dividend yield of 6.70% and $3.32 per share in cash. Unilever, with leading brands like Lipton Tea and Dove soap, has a ROE of 38.70%, a dividend yield of 3.20% and $1.20 per share in cash. Both companies have very little debt.

I see several benefits to making these changes in my portfolio and am looking forward to adding BTI and UN to my long term holdings. While the U.S. seems to be leaning toward a shaky recovery, it doesn't hurt to broaden your investment perspective to include quality companies who make more of their money from global sales. I also see this as part of my move away from speculative issues towards better quality investments.

No comments: