Friday, January 18, 2008

Never Say I Can't But Ask Yourself, "How Can I?"

When I was a kid, back in the 60's, I remember whining about something or other and telling my older brother David, "I can't do it." Whatever it was I was crying about, instead of pitying me and doing it for me he said, "Can't, never did anything." I have never forgotten this bit of wisdom. It seems it's always so tempting to say I can't do this, or I can't do that and when you have that type of mentality, you're absolutely right. Because, when you say I can't, your mind stops looking for ways to accomplish the task. But when you say, "How can I?", you put your mind to work figuring out ways to accomplish whatever it is you've set out to do. The people who accomplish the most in their lifetimes are invariably the ones who never give up trying. I've experienced a lot of ups and downs in my lifetime and there have been plenty of times when I've questioned myself and thought how much easier it would be to just give up. When I find myself getting in a rut and facing seemingly insurmountable obstacles, I start asking myself, "How can I make this better." I've found that once I ask myself this question, I will always find a way to improve whatever situation I find myself in.

If you find that your life isn't the way you'd like it to be, figure out what it is that you want, then ask yourself, "How do I get there from here?" The subconscious mind never sleeps. Once you give it a problem to solve, by asking questions of yourself, it will work non-stop to provide you with the solution. So never, ever. say, "I can't", say, "How Can I?"

No comments: