Sunday, January 20, 2008

Great U.S. Corporations For Sale Cheap By Owners

With so many people scrambling to dump their stocks and preserve their capital, this could be the headline in newspapers around the world. The dollar is down against foreign currencies and the business news channels have run amok with their doom and gloom stories and their wild speculations as to where our economy is headed. All the while, the foreign sovereignty funds are snatching up equity in some of our great U.S. corporations at fire sale prices. Why? Because they know that when the smoke clears and all the Chicken Little's have had their say, the sky won't have fallen after all. And just like every other time in our nations' history, the stock market will rebound. Then everyone who was in such a great hurry to flee will be standing in line, anxiously waiting to pay inflated prices to get back in on a rising stock market once again. Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Now is not the time to sell. That time is past. If you missed it, or for whatever reason, decided not to take advantage of it, now is not the time to be giving your stocks away. Have just a little faith in American business. We didn't become the richest nation in the world by accident. It was American business that built this country and I for one believe they will be around for a long time to come.

Don't get me wrong, I've lost money on my portfolio just like everyone else. But I'm not selling, I'm buying! I see this situation, even with the pain it is causing for so many, as a wonderful opportunity to pick up some of the greatest stocks for bargain basement prices. I get more and more excited every day, when I see stocks I've longed to own, but thought were overpriced, drop to levels well below what I was willing to pay for them. I see so many bargains right now it is impossible for me to take advantage of them all.

I watched with interest a news segment yesterday on how some people are beginning to profit from foreclosure auctions in the real estate market. They are picking up properties for a fraction of what they are really worth and re-selling them for a quick profit. While the profits may not be so quick on stocks, I'm convinced by past experience that the same thing will occur. While most people are selling, there will be people like myself who will recognize the situation for what it is, and purchase as many shares as possible, to be ready for the next upswing. When will that be? I have no idea. But I'm absolutely sure it will happen and I have every intention of being in position to benefit from it.

No comments: