Thursday, November 19, 2015

UVE TO PAY SPECIAL DIVIDEND IN DECEMBER 2015!

Nov. 5, 2015 Universal Insurance Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:UVE) announced that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of 27 cents per share on its common stock to be paid on December 10, 2015 to shareholders of record as of December 1, 2015, which includes the quarterly dividend of 12 cents per share and a special dividend of 15 cents per share.  This follows the strongest quarter ever in UVE's history.

The recent plunge in the U.S. stock market has seen UVE's share price plummet, however fundamentals remain intact and it continues to be one of my core holdings in both my IRA and my taxable investment accounts.  While this is not the first time UVE has paid a special dividend in December, it's great to see that they are continuing to do so.  HWBK is another of my stock holdings which usually pays a special dividend in July each year.  Theirs is in the form of stock, but I always look forward to the extra boost to my investments from the extra dividend.  Since special dividends are not included in stated dividend yields, it's like hidden income from the stocks that pay them.  So I'm always glad to see one of my holdings pay a special dividend.

As for the recent plunge in the stock market, I'm looking at it as a buying opportunity and a chance to boost overall yield in my portfolio.  As long as the market is down, re-invested dividends are buying more shares of current holdings at lower prices, reducing average cost per share and increasing yields.  So while I have less money on paper, monthly income is actually increasing at a faster pace.  I'll be looking to add additional cash investments as personal income allows.

No comments: