Saturday, April 20, 2013

HBI NOW PAYING DIVIDENDS!

                        
Wow, seems like it's been years since I received my small stake in Hanesbrands Inc. (HBI:NYSE) as part of a spin off deal from Sara Lee.  Even though the stock has performed well, I never bought any additional shares because they did not pay dividends.  However, I now intend to purchase additional shares of the stock since they will start paying dividends in June of this year. 

HBI inherited a great deal of debt in the spin off from Sara Lee, but you've got to hand it to the guys in charge, they've done a wonderful job of reducing debt and revitalizing the brand.  I've always worn Hanes underwear, socks and t-shirts, but with their recent ad campaigns, it seems like a lot of other people are doing the same.

As a dividend investor, it seems counter intuitive to hold on to a company that doesn't pay dividends.  In this case though, I've always believed in the brand and I believe the in the old saying, "Good things come to those who wait."  Can't wait to see what the folks at Hanes have in store for us next, but the future is definitely looking up!
 

No comments: