Friday, September 2, 2011

SEPTEMBER OFF TO A MEDIOCRE START

We gained some and lost some in the market for the last few days of August and the first few days of September.  My accounts ended pretty much flat for the week.  I did collect some decent dividends from AEA, AFLAC, Intel and ConAgra, so it wasn't exactly an unprofitable week.  Still in the buying mode.  Reinvested my dividend payments in additional shares of current holdings.  I really don't see any sustainable rallies in the market until after October.  I think we'll just be seeing more of the same minor ups and downs.  Don't really think there will be a double dip recession, although I do think it will take quite a bit longer for the economy to recover.  Which, as far as I'm concerned, spells prolonged buying opportunities. 

I've decided to invest my extra check this month from SendEarnings in my cash accounts.  I'm working toward building additional cash reserves along with beefing up my stock holdings.  I should receive my first statement from my savings plan at work by the end of September.  It will be great having an additional investment account, especially one with 100% matching contributions.  I've already decided any new raises will go toward increasing contributions to the plan.  With the company match and tax deferral it's the best opportunity available to me at this time.

I've been offered a new job with better pay and reduced hours (something I want), but it involves working at the county jail.  So I'm going to have to think that one over.  It's a new jail and they're working through setting up their operating system, think I'll wait and see how things go before I make a final decision.  I'd be working for a private contractor, so it wouldn't be in my best interests to take the job and have them lose their contract leaving me unemployed.  Think I'll wait until they've at least finished construction.

No comments: