Thursday, March 31, 2011

OPENING DAY OF BASEBALL!!!



It's opening day for baseball, GO CARDINALS!!!  While I can't say I'm the biggest baseball fan in the world, I have been a fan of Cardinals baseball since Mark McGuire's days with the team.  Yeah, I know he's a coach now, but the game was a lot more exciting when he was a player.  Anyway, I'm glad to see the start of baseball season.  Not a real big fan of football and absolutely hate basketball, so baseball and world cup soccer are tops as far as I'm concerned.

My Opinion on The Use of Steroids...

As a fan of baseball, I feel compelled to say something about the whole controversy over steroid use in professional sports.  I know all the arguments about abuse of steroids being bad for your health, yeah so is abuse of any medication.  Some children's vitamins and prescription medications rank higher on the list of dangerous drugs than steroids.  (My heart medication is way more dangerous than steroids.)  I would remind people who criticize steroid use that steroids are used for medical treatments for a lot of different reasons, so it's not necessarily the use, but the abuse that we should view as bad.  If you're thinking it's not right to enhance performance through steroid use, what do you think exercise, proper diet and practice are for?  They're for enhancing performance.  Should we ban those too?  Might be some pretty boring games.  It's not like these people popped a few pills and all of a sudden they're overnight sports superstars.  They still have to workout and they still have to practice to hone their skills, no drug can turn you into an instant sports sensation. 

And for those who, like our congressional representatives, think it sets a bad example for your children, since when is it the job of sports figures, or any celebrities for that matter, to set an example for your kids.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when I was growing up my parents took their job, of setting the right example for their kids, very seriously.  Television, school or social media were not the ones raising us, our parents were.  If you feel that sports figures should set examples for the kind of person you want your children to grow up to be, maybe you should re-examine your role as a parent.

And what about all the hoopla in Congress over steroid use?  Really???  With all the problems we're facing as a nation?  Shouldn't these people have better things to do with their time and with the taxpayer's money?  I care a lot about high unemployment, lack of decent jobs, people losing their homes at record rates while banks increase compensation to their executives.  I care about runaway spending by politicians, the overwhelming national debt and runaway taxes.  I care about all the brave men and women serving in the quagmires of Iraq, Afghanistan and now Libya, where we have no good reason to be.  I care about a lot of things, but one thing I don't care about much at all is, adult men or women in professional sports who decide to try and improve their performance by adding steroids to their training regimen. 

As far as I'm concerned it's a bunch of mass media hype and sensationalism, further perpetuated as a smokescreen by inept politicians who are either incapable or too afraid to deal with the real problems we're facing.

No comments: