Monday, September 13, 2010

LATEST ADDITIONS TO MY PORTFOLIO

Added shares of telecom Windstream Corporation (WIN:NASDAQ) to my taxable stock account.  It's been a great performer for my portfolio and I like the dividend (currently 8.06% on their recent share price of $12.39).  Windstream is one of my long term holdings. 

For my IRA account I purchased shares of Credit Suisse Group (CS:NYSE).  They currently pay a dividend of $1.78 which represents a yield of 3.84% on their recent share price of $46.66.  While it's not the highest yield, I think they have good prospects for increasing dividends in years to come.  CS is one of my long term holdings for my IRA account. 

I'm happy with the way the markets have been moving of late, although I'm not too optimistic that the upward trend will continue.  I'm thinking a lot hinges on the direction of the November elections.  Should the Democrats retain control of both houses, which seems unlikely, I'd expect a prolonged drop in equities.  If the GOP manages to rest control of both the House and the Senate, I expect the stock market to react quite favorably, at least through the first part of 2011.  Aside from the above scenarios, the only real market mover that I foresee would be a dramatic increase in new jobs, which I believe is highly unlikely.  Should the jobs situation get worse, it would present another tremendous buying opportunity when equities bottom out.  At least for those who still have money and the courage to invest in stocks.

No comments: