Tuesday, March 16, 2010

WHERE DID MY TAX REFUND GO?

Seems a lot of people, around this time of year, find themselves asking where the money went from their tax refunds. If they were lucky enough to get a nice refund, chances are good that it's gone before they know it and they have little or nothing to show for it. I know because I used to do the same thing. I used to look at a tax refund as an opportunity to go on a spending spree. Then I'd suddenly find myself out of money and wondering where it all went.

This year I invested one quarter of my tax refund in Altria Group (MO:NYSE). With their dividend close to 7% and their price per share a little over $20 I think it will make another good source of dividend income for my portfolio. While I still believe that the Obama Administrations tax hike on tobacco products earlier this year has created an unfriendly environment for tobacco companies, I expect the Democrats to lose a great deal of power in the fall elections. With a recent NBC/WSJ poll showing Congress with only a 17% approval rating, it's most likely the Democratic party will lose congressional seats come election day. With their tax and spend approach to solving the nations problems it's my opinion that we'd be much better off with a more balanced, or even a Republican led congress, than the current Democratic majority.

Anyway, back to the tax refund. After investing 25% of the money, I took another 30% and paid off some high interest credit card debt. The remaining 45% I deposited in my savings account at my bank. I'm using that as a cash reserve for work I'll be needing to have done on my car soon.

While most of this may be of no interest to anyone other than myself, the point I'm trying to make is you should know exactly where your money is going all the time. Tax refunds, inheritances, rebates, lottery winnings or any type of windfall should be put to good use building future income and reducing debt, so you won't find yourself asking, "Where did the money go?"

No comments: