Monday, July 28, 2008

Your Future Starts Today!

People often talk about what type of future they would like to have. But if you keep doing the things you've always done, (get up, work hard, pay bills and try to save or invest a little money) then chances are good your future will be exactly as it is today. In one of the books I've been reading, the author said, "If you want healthy teeth in the future, brush your teeth today." Meaning, you don't wait until you have more time or more money, or until you've gotten more education or a higher paying job. If you want a future that is dramatically different, much richer and more enjoyable than the life you are living right now, then your future starts right now. You need to be taking steps today to build the bridges to your future life.

In my case, I want to stop working for other people. I've often written in my blog about wanting to stop working. I have worked hard all my life, making other people rich. I've decided it's time to do the same for myself. For a very long time now, I've always had a source of income outside my job and my stock investment portfolio. I've been involved in one small business venture after another. Mostly self employed, service type businesses. I have made money and learned a great deal from these small ventures, while I continued to work my day job. Now I consider everything I've done so far as an educational experience. I've been learning how to and how not to run a business. Recently I launched a new business that I'm very excited about. I haven't made a dime yet, but I can see the future and I can see how to get to where I want to be from where I am now!

I feel like everything I've done so far was leading up to this point and now is the time to make the move and jump on the fast track. Does this mean I'm giving up on saving and investing in stocks to provide for my future? Absolutely not. It simply means that my plans are beginning to accelerate and the future is no longer "some day" or "when I retire," the future I see for myself is starting right now!

No comments: