Monday, May 26, 2008

Summer Cost Cutters For My Investments

For traders in the stock market, summer is usually a time for laying low. "In May, go away" as the saying goes. For my personal investments it is usually a time to re-evaluate my plan and assess changes that will improve my portfolio performance. I also think of it as a good time to pick up stock in some of the big blue chip companies while prices are down. As an example, I sold my AT&T stock in early spring of last year, while I had a nice price gain and bought the company's stock back in late summer when the prices were down. From the profit I made in the spring, I was able to purchase more shares of this great company when I bought back in at the lower prices. It has performed quite well since.

As for improving performance of my portfolio, this year I have decided to increase the dollar amount of each of my investments and purchase larger blocks of stock each time. While I'm building up cash for stock purchases, the money is parked in my money market account where it earns a nice interest rate. By increasing the size of my investments each time, I will save on brokerage fees. I don't think anyone would consider the amount I pay in brokerage fees to be extreme, but every dollar you save is like earning two, since the saved dollar has already had the taxes taken out. So I'm looking to save every way I can on investment related costs.

The biggest threat to my portfolio this year is high gasoline prices. Not only does this have a negative affect on the economy overall and on the cost of doing business for a lot of the companies I invest in, it drastically reduces the amount of discretionary income I am able to devote to my investment plan. I believe we will see a break in gasoline prices soon. I just don't think it's possible for the average working person in the U.S. to continue paying ever increasing gasoline prices. People have already started to make drastic changes, replacing larger vehicles with smaller ones, riding bikes to work or taking public transportation, in many cases they never would have considered these things before. As for me, I simply don't drive any more than I absolutely have to. All these things add up and when the demand falls, so will gasoline prices. My plan B, you should always have a plan B, is to change jobs and reduce my commute or to relocate closer to my work place. For now I'm cutting back and waiting for a price break. I would much rather be putting this money towards building investment income rather than burning it up in my car.

No comments: