Sunday, April 20, 2008

My New Job!

One of my goals for 2008 was to get a new job. I'd been at my old job for almost 9 years and it was pretty much a go no where situation. I felt the need for a change and I realized that if I wanted to accomplish my goal of building personal wealth, I would have to move on. I'm happy to report that I have a new job!

I'm still working in the restaurant business, but I started as an assistant manager on the new job. I've been there for 3 weeks now and things are going great! I'm enjoying going to work again. I feel like I've got a lot more opportunity with this company than with my old job. The franchise owners are growth oriented, with plans for expansion to several locations throughout the state. The corporation itself has plans for expansion nationwide, so I feel like I'm on the ground floor with a lot of opportunities ahead of me. I can see this move as the start of something great as far as my professional life, but it will also benefit my plans for building residual income from my investment portfolio. What's really exciting about this situation is that I've done it once before with fantastic results. When I lived in Georgia, I went to work for a struggling restaurant operation as an assistant manager and helped turn the place around. We went from last place in sales in a franchise chain of 12 restaurants, to second place, only behind the training store. I was in a position then to take over as general manager, but decided to move back to Missouri before I was promoted. Now I'm basically in the same position. If things work out the way the owners want them to, our general manager will move on to open the next restaurant, being promoted to district manager and I will take over as general manager with a nice boost in pay! Only 3 weeks on the job, we've already boosted sales and are well on the way to a profitable operation. So I'm thinking that opportunity sometimes does knock twice. This time I intend to see it through.

As my income from the new job increases, the additional money will go straight in to my investment accounts. If everything works out, I would only need to work another 5 to 10 years and I would be free to retire. However, I'm enjoying the new job so much I could see working longer. The bottom line is that I've accomplished one more goal on my action plan for 2008. Just got to keep working the plan and reaching the goals, then I'll set new ones and go from there.

No comments: