Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Latest Stock Purchase

O.K., so I bought the shares in American Capital Strategies, ACAS. I'm still happy about my purchase and expect to do well with it. However, I thought I should follow up with a note about an article I read today that put this company in not quite as good a light. Apparently they have done quite well for the past few years, but as it mentioned in this article, they recently announced a change in the way they pay their dividends. Much like REITS, equity funds are required to pay out 90% of income as dividends. However, until recently, they did not count profits may from sales of businesses, or capital gains, as part of the profit on which dividends were paid. The article I read said this should be viewed as a yellow flag, since anytime a company changes the way they pay dividends, especially when they are a dividend play, you should proceed with caution. I'm all about proceeding with caution, but given that all the insider trading info I've been able to find indicates the insiders are making open market purchases, I'm inclined to believe that I'm in a good position here. If they were truly in any trouble, I can't see people on the inside buying up more shares. So I'm sticking with my original evaluation. I thought it was of interest that the author of this pessimistic article started out by saying how foolish this company had made him look since he had initially dismissed them as a poor investment, and during the same time period they had increased earnings and dividends along with price per share by a substantial amount.

No comments: