Monday, April 12, 2010

PART OF THE WEALTH BUILDING PROCESS

Recently I wrote about wealth building as being simply a process. Basically you first learn to turn your savings into more money and then you simply repeat the process over and over until you are wealthy. I sometimes forget that this type of thinking is lost on most of the people I work with.

I found myself a bit put out recently, when a couple of my co-workers were not as excited about a story I shared with them, about the sale I'd made of some rebuilt computers. One went so far as to comment, "Interesting story, " while rolling her eyes to express her true lack of interest.

O.K., so rebuilding 3 junked computers, and reselling them to double my money is of little interest to anyone but me. Maybe I am a little boring at times. What I didn't convey along with the story is what really excited me about the project. And that is, the fact that I doubled my money doing something I like to do. Although I have no formal training in computers and software, I have always been fascinated with solving programming conflicts and hardware malfunctions. What is even more exciting to me is that I always learn something new each time I repair another computer. This time around I learned how to fabricate a hard drive cage when I was unable to find a replacement part and I also took a computer that showed no signs of life and restored it to perfect working order.

But I guess the real point here is that if I were more concerned with telling a story that would catch and hold someones interest, I should make sure to point out the real reason behind my excitement. The fact that I doubled my money in less than a month is exciting enough, but the real story is that this is money that goes straight to my investment program. So not only did the investment double in one month, but the initial investment and the profit from that investment have been converted to dividend paying stocks. Now I will keep earning money off those 3 computers indefinitely! So what started out as a ho-hum story about making a few bucks, becomes a story about creating a cash machine that keeps churning out income year after year. It's almost like creating something from nothing. I took 3 junk computers, of no use to anyone and turned them back into useful products. The money I earned, plus my initial investment are now hard at work earning me even more money, but with no further physical effort on my part.

It's all part of the process of building wealth. You learn to make money and then you put it to work, so eventually, you don't have to work anymore.

No comments: