Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's Not Your Bosses Job to Make You Rich

Since starting my new job, I've mentioned in some of my posts that I'm not making as much in pay as I'm used to. However, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I'm thankful to have a job. Whatever the pay is, I always create a budget based on current income. For several years the income from my jobs went up. Now it's gone down, but I've still budgeted to live on the money I have coming in from my paycheck. I make allowances for my bills and living expenses and for building my investments.

So many people seem to think they are underpaid and in some cases, maybe they are. But what everyone should keep in mind is that it's not your bosses job to make you rich. Your reward for your hard work on the job is the pay and benefits package you agreed to when you accepted the job in the first place. Your bosses job is to see that you get what you were promised and that's it.

It is each individuals job to make themselves rich. And the way to do that is to learn to handle your cash flow. Whether you make a lot of money or minimum wage is irrelevant if you are unable to handle your money properly. If you constantly mismanage your personal finances, no matter how much money you make, you will never get ahead. That is why I feel so strongly about financial education. Accepting responsibility for your own financial future and taking action to reach your goals is about the only way the average person will ever hope to achieve wealth. Basically what I'm saying is, it's not how much you get paid, it's what you do with it when you cash your paycheck.

No comments: