Sunday, November 8, 2009

Merck and Schering Plough Merger

Got a nice bonus this week from the merger of Merck and Schering Plough. I held stocks in both companies and consider Merck as one of my core stocks. As part of the merger, I received $10.50 per share in cash, plus additional shares in the new Merck, for each share of Schering Plough. I've always considered both to be good investments and think the combination of the two will be good going forward.

I always enjoy merger deals of this type, where I get most of my invested cash back. It's like playing with the house's money, since I have practically nothing invested in the stock I received as part of the merger.

The icing on the top of the cake is the great dividend I've gotten from Merck all along. Even if they reduced the dividend 50% due to costs related to the merger, I'd still be happy with the return on investment. But I doubt that's likely to happen.

No comments: