Friday, November 2, 2007

Investing in Insurance Companies

I've always liked the idea of investing in a good insurance company. I figured after all the years I've paid out insurance premiums and never collected a single dime, they just have to be making money, and I'd sure like to get some of my money back. But until recently I hadn't run across any with good enough financials to justify the going share price. I routinely search through smaller stock issues in hopes of finding an undiscovered little gem of a company that stands a good chance of paying off well. But being the type who likes the cash flow of dividends, my search criteria are usually pretty hard to meet. However, I did manage to find a small insurance company in the state of Florida that specializes in re-insurance, which means they underwrite the policies of other insurance companies. Their financials looked great, their profit has double every year for the past three years and they pay out a nice dividend while retaining earnings for future growth. They also have very little debt and a low stock price so I was able to buy several shares in the company. What's not to like? I've already gotten part of my investment back, in the form of 2 quarterly dividends to date, and the price has appreciated about 20% over what I originally paid. This one looks like a real keeper!

No comments: