Friday, March 30, 2012

SLOW WEEK FOR DIVIDENDS

O.K., so maybe it was just a slow week for me, but I did get a decent dividend from BGC Partners Inc. (BGCP).  While one dividend per week is a far cry from my goal of daily dividends, I'm making progress.  I made a list of stocks I'd like to own, with current dividend yields and the months they pay their dividends.  I'm working my way through the list until I own positions in 92 different stocks or at least enough stocks to pay 365 dividends per year.  What I realized when reviewing my current holdings is I already own some stocks that pay once or twice per year, instead of quarterly and a couple of issues that pay monthly.  So I may be able to get to 365 dividends a year with a lot less than 92 stocks. 

While this month has been slow for dividends, I added an additional 8 payments per year with the purchase of EXC and NU.  In the month of April I'll be adding at least 8 more payment by adding CLX to my IRA account and CH to my taxable account.  While doing spring cleaning I realized I have a lot of stuff I no longer use, so I'm taking it all to my sister's next yard sale and plan to use whatever money I make to buy additional shares of stock.  So it's possible I could add an additional 16 dividends for a total of 32 new annual payments by the end of April.

One thing I've learned from all my years of investing, it's important to have a plan and stick to it.  What kind of plan do you need?  Whatever works for you.  The most important thing is to stick to your plan and make adjustments where needed along the way. 

No comments: