Monday, September 14, 2009

This Week's Trades

Decided to take advantage of Universal Insurance (UVE) 11% dividend yield and pick up some more shares for my taxable portfolio. UVE is a long term holding in my regular portfolio and my IRA. Also decided it might be time to have a look at REITs again. With real estate turning around and several companies gearing up to pick up distressed real estate investments, thought it might be good to shop around. I've decided on Capstead Mortgage (CMO), one of the real estate trusts that has survived the turmoil of the past few years and seems to be on track for recovery. Their dividend yield is currently 16.30%, which is enticing in its' own right, but I chose them mainly for their experience. They've been in business for quite some time and I figure if they could survive the past year and keep their dividend intact, then they're likely a pretty good bet going forward.

Still building cash, but things are looking up on the job front, so I may soon be deploying excess cash in my stock portfolios. Even though I'm not happy with things on the political front, I believe that the stock market and the American economy can overcome a lot of idiotic moves by our nations politicians. And there's always the hope that they'll be voted out and replaced with people who have show a little more fiscal responsibility.

No comments: