Tuesday, December 18, 2018

BOOSTED MONTHLY DIVIDENDS BY OVER 6%!

It's nearing Christmas and I haven't done any shopping yet.  But I have the next couple of days off, so I'll get it all done then.  In the mean time, I put some of my Christmas bonus to work, investing equal amounts in AGNC and NRZ for a boost to monthly dividend income of a little over 6%!  Dividends from the new shares purchased will kick in in January 2019, which I figure is a great way to start off the new year.

Yesterday's big drop in the stock market has a lot of people running to cash.  Quite understandable, especially since 2008.  However, I have no intention of abandoning my dividend investment strategy.  I'm looking at the situation as an opportunity to buy more dividend income at a lower price.  What the market does tomorrow or next week or next year is really anybody's guess.  But if you're collecting a nice stream of dividend income every month, it becomes almost irrelevant since you're not likely to be selling your shares.

Currently, I'm showing a loss on most of my investments.  That may continue for quite some time.  But I'm not panicking as long as they continue to pay dividends.  I have to admit it's tempting to take all the dividends in cash, just to be on the safe side.  However, I think it's better to reinvest the dividends at the new lower prices and reduce my average price per share while I have the chance.  I'd feel pretty stupid about building up a big chunk of cash and then the market takes off again and I'd have lost out on the chance to pick up some bargains.  So I'll keep reinvesting dividends until I actually need the cash.

No comments: