Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November So Far

Well it's the first week of November, the stock market is down and I'm back to work. A little disappointed in the stock market, but it does allow me to pick up stocks at a cheaper price. Been having a little difficulty getting back into the work environment again, but I'm glad to have a job when so many people are out of work still. I ended up taking a much lower position with a lot less pay than at my last job, but work is work. I still recall the 1970's when so many people were unemployed for what seemed like forever. It was hard times then and any job you could get was considered a good job. Don't want to find myself in that position if I can avoid it.

This is a big month for dividends from my taxable portfolio. I'll be receiving payments from over 10 different companies and most of them are high yielding stocks. I'm beginning to like Canadian energy trusts with their monthly payouts and love the master limited partnerships!

My IRA is doing well. Just added more AT&T shares. A friend of mine was telling me a story about a former co-worker who ended up homeless and called him asking for help. He was stunned that the guy had no where to live, no money and no car, but he had a cell phone. That's why I love telecoms. They're not really in favor right now, so I'm picking up shares at bargain prices. When homeless people are carrying phones, you can't hardly go wrong owning telecom stocks.

No comments: